Category Archives: eating
Once again, it’s the final Friday of a summer month. That means
we’re getting closer to school starting back we still have a few weeks of fun left before school starts! It was hard to narrow down my Friday Five list this week. This was an action-packed week full of fun and excitement. Well, here we go:
1. Cheerleading: I put my pom poms on the shelf back in 1997 after being selected UCA All-Star, serving two years as captain of the Varsity squad, and having six memorable seasons as a WHS Cheerleader. This week, I started my new position as Jr. High Cheer Coach, and I’m really excited about it. Please know, I am smart enough to know that my cheerleader days are over. But, it’s nice to see these girls who have the same passion for the sport as I did 16 years ago.
2. Football: I’m an avid lover of football. I LOVE my Auburn Tigers and it’s difficult to tear me away from the TV on Saturdays in the Fall. But, I’m feeling some kind of way about football now that my son is playing his first season of football. Despite what I thought, he’s loving the sport, so I guess I’ll just have to learn how to enjoy football while watching the game through my fingers! (It’s different when one of the boys on the field is your own…)
3. Family: Normally during the summer, I am inundated with things to do. This summer, I vowed to take it easy and spend time with my family. It’s the best decision I’ve ever made. I’ve enjoyed waking up and seeing my husband off to work (and then quickly jumping back into bed to try to grasp hold of any little sleep that may be left inside of me) and spending time with my children (when they weren’t busy asking to go to a friend’s house or having a friend come over).
4. Dance: Soon, I’ll be headed to the beach for Fire & Ice National Talent Competition. My daughter’s dance team has had a great dance season and I’m ready to close it out with some wins at nationals this week!
and the BEST part of nationals is that it’s being held at….
5. THE BEACH: My favorite place in the whole wide world is the beach. I love relaxing and being care free. I love hearing children (mine and others) playing in the sand. I love hearing the crash of waves as they retire on the shore. I love getting lost in a good book without the disturbance of the television and other things. I love admiring yet another of God’s most amazing creations.
Oh yeah….I also love eating great seafood, hanging out at cool spots, and shopping! (shh…)
There’s my week in a nutshell. I’m ready to enjoy the weekend! Enjoy yours.
Back at the beginning of the year, my church participated in a 21-day fast. We followed the Daniel Fast plan. For twenty-one long, long, days, we were only to eat fruits and vegetables, and water was the only beverage that we were to consume.
Immediately after my pastor announced this activity, I marched to the car and voiced to my husband that I would NOT be participating. There was no way this steak-loving, cupcake-eating, wine drinking lady was going to deprive herself of these things. Not happening. No way. No how. End of discussion.
Then, from the back seat of the van, my eldest child asked, “Why not?” My husband looked at me and waited on my response. I didn’t have one. At least not one that I wanted to vocalize. The only reason that I could think of was that I didn’t want to . The type of answer that every would-be parent longs to give when their child asks a question. “Why can’t I go to the movies with my friends?” “Because I said so!” (Well, maybe it was just me that couldn’t wait to be able to give those types of answers.)
Since my husband and the kids were all in, I had to pull it together and endure this adventure with my family. For twenty-one days, I traded the cupcakes, potato chips, fried chicken, and fast food with fresh vegetables, organic soups, beans, fruits, and water. It was a bit of an adjustment, but it was an experience that I will never forget. It was life changing in so many ways.
It was during this time on the Daniel Fast that I discovered my #1 beauty products: water and fresh fruits and vegetables! While on the fast, I quickly began noticing changes in my body. My hair was at its healthiest, my skin was at its clearest, and extra pounds that I had been carrying for months melted away. My body was a direct reflection of what I was eating and drinking. We’ve all heard it before, but actually seeing the changes was amazing!
I was probably the most reluctant one in the house to drink water. I had to get creative towards the end to keep the momentum going. I began to add cucumber slices and lemon juice to my water to give it more flavor. From time to time, I’d add fresh fruit to my glass of water and pretend that it was some sort of tropical treat.
Now, I’ll admit, I was counting down the days until the end of the fast. But, I am glad that I listened to my gut feeling (i.e. my husband and my son). Since the fast ended, I’ve done much better about including more water, fruits, and vegetables into my diet.
By the way, I wish that I had been blogging back then. You’d get quite a few laughs out of the stories I could tell of those twenty-one days!